Tonight I am mostly watching the Red Riding series. It's damn good and one of those shows set in the 70s/80s where costume, setting and atmosphere are captured and styled so well it's a pleasure to lose yourself into it. A palate of old school browns, beige, murky grey skies and characters dressed in flares and woolen jumpers, drinking larger and chain smoking. So not entirely unlike a night out in The Workmans Club or say Smithfield in Dublin. Andrew Garfield is such a great talent. He was the best thing about the Facebook movie too. Anything I try to express cannot come close to this incredibly beautifully written review though so I'll stop there.
Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Who's that writer that did the modern pastiche on all the old fairy tales? It was a woman but I can't remember who....
ReplyDeleteHugh
Hmmm is she Irish and do you mean a children's writer?
ReplyDeleteThough you prob meant crime writer..
ReplyDeleteNo, it was all very love, death and sex. It had red in the title and it was a collection of short stories based on fairy tales. That's why the above made me think of it. Can't find it on google but I'm sure I have a copy somewhere...
ReplyDeleteAnd no, not Irish
One slightly longer google search later...
ReplyDeleteAngela Carter, The Bloody Chamber