You would not believe how beautiful Killiney beach was today at about 4.30pm. The light had faded but twilight was clinging on and treacherous as the rocky steps were down to the beach I made it and stood in the centre near the shore. Nobody was around and I had no camera, we always feel we need to share these things with people, as if no one will believe how magnificent they are without proof but I think everywhere looks pretty special today and I am glad for my moment there alone. With the glow from the snow illuminating everything and Dalkey Island topped in white, I didn't want to leave and kept looking back as I did so. It seemed a shame not to stay outside all night repeating 'wow. Wow!' but it was a tad too bracing and I had some biscuits that needed to be partnered up with hot tea...
I slipped coming into the estate. 'Careful there' I said incredulously to a lady passing by, as if it was the iciest patch i had ever encountered. Really though it's that my cheap boots are as about as practical as a non waterproof tent at an Irish festival. (Yes i have had one).
I slipped coming into the estate. 'Careful there' I said incredulously to a lady passing by, as if it was the iciest patch i had ever encountered. Really though it's that my cheap boots are as about as practical as a non waterproof tent at an Irish festival. (Yes i have had one).
I arrived at my mum's house before her, she trudged in a few minutes later, looking like an astronaut or Artic traveller, a large stick of wood as her support, south park like anorak and hiking boots. It took her a minute to disrobe the heavy outer layers and i did wonder for a moment was it even her.
'It's crazy out there' she said revealing her pink little face.
'I slipped three times and someone fell onto Dalkey Dart tracks and broke their leg.'
Then she added 'and what about the turkeys!?'
Then she added 'and what about the turkeys!?'
'They must be freezing' I agreed.
'No i mean how will anyone get them for christmas dinner?'.
The poor turkeys. Noone cares about the turkeys.
* Incidentally, I was listening to johnny Flynn on the way down to the beach.
* Incidentally, I was listening to johnny Flynn on the way down to the beach.
No comments:
Post a Comment