I must admit, or confess, I am not overly familiar with the Foals' catalogue. I had hoped though that their sheer brilliance would overwhelm me when seeing them live in The Olympia last night. I am in two minds.
It was definitely a thrilling gig, and if you are looking for fun, rock-out, not too deep music then this is your band. It would be hard not to be impressed by their energy and I cant say I didnt enjoy it, I had a really fun time (thanks to Gayle and Stephen for getting me in! I had bought the wrong ticket type). How could you not respond to the silhouettes of singer Yannis and the guitarist atop of two giant speakers either side of the stage after climbing the whole semi-circumference of the balcony.
Putting on a feisty performance, you cannot doubt they are enjoying themselves and there was no denying some of the crowd were finding the whole gig phenomenal, their enthusiasm contagious. I can prove I got stuck in during the up-tempo tracks by the amount of beer spilt down my back whilst skirting the moshing young 'wans - though not quite brave enough to make it all the way in.
I think that perhaps I found them a little one-dimensional. Or just not my cup of tea. Whatever it was, something, left me a little cold. Some have called their latest album a grower though, one that will work its way into your playlist so maybe that's where I have been too hasty in my judgement. Shame on me for not listening to the album more thoroughly before I went.
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment