Wednesday, April 13, 2011

James Blake -Whelans gig


I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the sold out James Blake Whelan's gig a few weeks back. I didn't pick the best spot, stuck as I was behind three very tall men. I wonder what the gig etiquette of tall people is? Should they be limited to one tall friend each per gig? I think this needs to be explored.

From the short glimpses I managed to steal he looks like quite the posh English public school boy, tall, neat, with a short choppy hair style airing on the quiffy side. What a whopper of a voice though. Surprisingly powerful and soulful. If you couldn't see him, and I couldn't, you could certainly feel him. The gorgeous and heartbreaking emotion in his voice on songs like 'I never learnt to share' and 'Why don't you call me'.

And if the emotion didn't get to you then the vibrations certainly did. The bass and dubstep rhythms passed straight though your bones, washing over you, shaking your very being. All there was to do was be still, listen and feel. Very soothing actually, almost numbing to your ears with the air being palpable and thick with sound.

Then there was 'that' Fiest cover, 'Limit to your love'. Worth the wait when it finally came, teasing us at parts with extra long breaks, leaving us waiting for the piano hook to return. No encore for us, sure wouldn't that be greedy?

No comments:

Post a Comment