Went to see Laura Marling recently in The Academy. I went to her last gig two years ago in Whelans. Back then she was only 18 and so painfully shy. She stood still, eyes lowered for the whole gig. The whole room was so silent, she had us all captivated. Her voice is amazing. She sounds like Joan Baez and writes like Bob Dylan. It was the best live gig I had ever been too.
Since then I listen to that album all the time (Alas I cannot Swim). There is nothing about her I don't like. Its not just that her voice and melody are great, but her lyrics are wise beyond her years. Beyond mine too. Where does she find time for all these experiences and observations? Well, apparently when she moved to London at 16, she read lots of Keats among other poets and authors, had no tv and had many interesting conversations with inspiring people....So there you go.
Her second album 'I Speak Because I Can' is even better. It wouldn't be a surprise if she was nominated for the Mercury award like she was for her first album. Her star is rising fast.
This album arrived in the aftermath of her breakup to Charlie Fink of 'Noah and the Whale' fame, so there is a bit of heartbreak in there, but yet she is hopeful and inspiring in her outlook rarely harsh, never bitter.
Even though her voice is lovely and strong, she plays around with it, avoids being too sweet, sometimes spitting the words out like venom at the end of a sentence or bending her voice sharply and ever so slightly off key. She draws influences from folk music like Bonnie 'Prince' Billy and from old English literature and poetry like that of Austen and Keats. These all shine through in her lyrics and and sentiment. It is such a moving and complete album, one that would usually take an artist years to grow into and produce. Nobody comes close to her talent at the moment. I cannot stop listening to it. In terms of lyrics, melody and themes she is such an original.
As for the Academy gig? She was a different person in terms of confidence. She commanded the stage. Still a quiet performer, but plays each song with the gusto of someone who knows she is good. Also she has been touring so much she is flawless. For anyone who you tubed her previous live gigs before the show as I did, this provides the only disheartening moment when she uses the same word for word introduction to most songs. This is short lived though as when she starts to play you remember why you are there and it is not to hear her speak but to hear her sing. And sing she can.
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment